Thursday, November 24, 2005

What Am I Thankful For?

A man in Ireland told us that, "If you can feel the cold of the bedroom floor on the soles of your feet it means that you'll have a good day."

Abraham Lincoln said, "Most men are just as happy as they make up their minds to be."

Today is a day we set aside to give thanks and to take stock of our blessings. Here are a few of he things that I am thankful for.

  • I have a family. I am blessed to have a wife, a brother, a mother, a grandmother (102 and still going strong), a whole mess of kids, the most beautiful granddaughter and an assortment of in-laws and outlaws who make my life better by their presence.
  • I have a job. It's not the job I thought I'd have by now but it's a fine job, respectable and challenging, working alongside good people.
  • I have a home. We don't live in a McMansion but we have a place of warmth and comfort to share and enjoy.
  • I have friends. My life is filled with people who share my interests and joys. I am seldom happier than when my house is full of people sharing a good day or night.
  • I can make a difference. I have been lucky enough to find ways to give my time and energy back to the community. I work with the Stateline Literacy Council and with E-Arts to open doors for others.
  • I live in America. I have the freedom to express my thoughts and access to the process to effect change.
  • I am "me." The creaks and groans of a body that's a half-century old let me know that I'm alive to feel the cold of the bedroom floor. I have a set of talents and skills that is unique and a supporting network that is unsurpassed.

Today is a good day to be alive. I would not trade the things that I have for power or fame or money. I am thankful for another day to be me.

No comments: