Sunday, January 08, 2006

Looking For the Wiggle Room

In his letter stating that he would not seek re-election as House Majority Leader Tom "The Hammer" DeLay said that he had, ""always acted in an ethical manner within the rules of our body and the laws of our land. I am fully confident time will bear this out."

I'm not sure that's the same as always acting in an ethical manner (full stop.) Call me biased but if I hear someone say that his ethics were constrained by "just this set of rules" or "by the way we do things," then I'll be sure to count the silverware before they leave.

If you know the game is rigged and you helped write the rules of the rigged game then it's not enough to say that you followed the rules. C'mon, there's Ethics and then there's Moral Relativism. Right?

1 comment:

Nathan said...

I don't know if the real question is whether DeLay acted ethically. I'm sure that he has. The real question is: what set of morals is he acting in accordance with? He does, after all, make for a fine student of Nietzsche.