Monday, January 16, 2006

The Tao Of Steve- Foti Meets Martin

Steve Martin showed us all how to have a million dollars without paying taxes.

You.. can be a millionaire.. and never pay taxes! You can be a millionaire.. and
never pay taxes! You say.. "Steve.. how can I be a millionaire.. and never pay
taxes?" First.. get a million dollars. Now.. you say, "Steve.. what do I say to
the tax man when he comes to my door and says, 'You.. have never paid taxes'?"
Two simple words. Two simple words in the English language: "I forgot!" How many
times do we let ourselves get into terrible situations because we don't say "I
forgot"? Let's say you're on trial for armed robbery. You say to the judge, "I
forgot armed robbery was illegal." Let's suppose he says back to you, "You have
committed a foul crime. you have stolen hundreds and thousands of dollars from
people at random, and you say, 'I forgot'?" Two simple words: Excuuuuuse me!!"


Now Steve Foti has used the same defense for his transgressions and, for some bloggers notably Ragnar Mentaire, that's enough. Foti said, in essence, "I didn't know."

For several years, I have allowed certain of my staff to participate in partisan
political activity without ensuring that taxpayer funds would not be utilized
for their compensation. Had I then recognized the illegality of that practice, I
could and should have prevented same.


I have to disagree with Mentaire. I liked Chuck Chvala. I'm sorry he did what he did. Now it's time for the accounting. Foti has had his chance just as Jensen will have his to defend his innocence.

"I didn't know." " I forgot." "Everybody else was doing it." Excuses don't feed the bulldog, a wise man once said. They broke the law. That's not Brian Blanchard's fault.

No comments: