Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Snake Bites Consumers. Conservatives Shocked.

A parable for our times.

Many years ago, Indian youths would go away in solitude to prepare for manhood.

One such youth hiked into a beautiful valley, green with trees, bright with flowers. There he fasted. But on the third day, as he looked up at the surrounding mountains, he noticed one tall rugged peak, capped with dazzling snow.

I will test myself against that mountain, he thought. He put on his buffalo-hide shirt, threw his blanket over his shoulders and set off to climb the peak. When he reached the top he stood on the rim of the world. He could see forever, and his heart swelled with pride.

Then he heard a rustle at his feet, and looking down, he saw a snake.

Before he could move, the snake spoke: “I am about to die,” said the snake. “It is too cold for me up here and I am freezing. There is no food and I am starving. Put me under your shirt and take me down to the valley.”

“No,” said the youth. “I am forewarned. I know your kind. You are a rattlesnake. If I pick you up, you will bite, and your bite will kill me.”

“Not so,” said the snake. “I will treat you differently. If you do this for me, you will be special. I will not harm you.”

The youth resisted awhile, but this was a very persuasive snake with beautiful markings. At last the youth tucked it under his shirt and carried it down to the valley. There he laid it gently on the grass.

Suddenly the snake coiled, rattled and leapt, biting him on the leg. “But you promised—” cried the poor youth.

You knew what I was when you picked me up,” said the snake as it slithered away.

2 comments:

James Wigderson said...

Aesop, scorpion and the frog.

But that's the problem of having a court that's bound by the law rather than the desires of judges. Sometimes you get answers you don't want.

We'll just have to wait for the legislature.

grumps said...

No, James. I've learned from watching Owen that the only proper response to any verdict with which you don't agree is to sob, "Damn those activist judges," and to curl into a fetal position.

In fact, I'm a little cranky that Sharon Osborne so often cancels the Hoff's decision. Will the WILF (gotta be careful with one's acronym) be joining in the call for direct election of America's Got Talent judges?

Let the people decide!