Friday, March 24, 2006

Why Am I Writing About the Waukesha County Board?

James Wigderson sent me an impassioned note calling for help in the petition drive to reduce the size of the Waukesha County Board. I won't post it here for several reasons. If any of you want to see his letter you may follow this link.

My reasons.
1) I don't live in Waukesha County. It's not my fight.
2) I don't think the Waukesha County Board should be reduced in size.
3) It's hard enough to run a non-profit with budget of $150,000 and a board of 8. Trying to run a growing county with 11 is borderline insanity.
4) You need sufficient involvement to maintain an effective committee structure. Eleven ain't enough.
5) With the population and the growth of the county you will be best served by greater representation. If Scott Newcomer can fool that many people at one time, the influence of one or two people should be diluted.

And for those who don't believe the damage that one or two well-intentioned but misguided people on a county board can do, I have two words. Progressive Dane. 'nuff said.

No comments: