Sunday, January 22, 2006

Gunderson Says, "Not Enough Third Graders Know How To Use Guns." 73 Reps Agree

Scott Gunderson has run another truly foolish bill through the Assembly. Stating that he feels Wisconsin has fallen away from its hunting tradition he authored a bill to allow third graders to hunt. In the woods. With real guns.

Each third grader would have to be accompanied at arm's length by a mentor designate by the child's parent or guardian and they would have to share one weapon. If the child still wanted to hunt by age twelve they would have to complete a hunter safety course.

The truly scary part of this provision is that 74 of our lawmakers voted to pass it. How does this make Wisconsin better? Where is the pressing need to have third graders with weapons in our woods? Is it not possible to teach respect for and a love of nature without having a gun?

I'm an occasional hunter of small game. This loopy proposal is enough to make me give that little bit up.

3 comments:

Nathan said...

You know, 'hunting' used to be aspirational in nature. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hunting was connected with the tradition of Hemmingway and Teddy Roosevelt - the exotic safari. Good Lord, even Jack London's tales glamorized the glory of going toe-to-toe with nature.

Now, hunting is associated in the public mind with murderous rednecks. Am I wrong? Whether that's the reality or not, it is the perception of reality. The sport of hunting, like tennis and bowling before it, is now looked down upon as 'common'. In America there is no more devasting accusation.

grumps said...

I'm not willing to go in that direction. I agree that the "glamor" days of hunting passed a generation or more ago but time spent in the woods with family can be a trancendent experience.

I'm not for denying anyone their time to hunt. My argument is that there shouldd be reasonable limits on time and place. Kids shouldn't be shooting pool in the bar with Mom after supper. 14 year olds don't belong behind the wheel in traffic. A ten year old shouldn't have his own credit card.

Nathan said...

I agree! I guess my (unstated) point is that Gunderson's bill won't be effective (or affective for that matter) until a greater percentage of the population wants to hunt. That won't happen until Tiger Woods (or some other latter-day Jack London) picks up a rifle and heads to the wild back-country. For myself, I am a hunter and I enjoy getting to the family '40.